- 100 g olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 kg assorted small fish cleaned (scorpion fish, rock fish, tub fish, red mullet, small eel)
- 400 g tomatoes
- 15 g parsley
- 1100 g water
- 5 marjoram sprigs
- Salt to taste
- 100 g rice
- 1 lemon
- Cut the fish in quarters and set aside.
- Place the garlic and the olive oil in the mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/ speed 5.
- Add marjoram and sauté 3 min/ Varoma/ reverse position/ speed 1.
- Add the fish and cook 5 min / reverse position/ 100º/ speed spoon.
- Place the fish in the simmering basket and set aside.
- Add the water and the salt, place the simmering basket with the fish and let cook slowly at low temperature 30 min/ 90º/ speed 2.
- Remove the simmering basket, add the tomato and the parsley, place the basket with the fish again and cook for more 20 min/ 100º/ speed 2.
- Remove the simmering basket with spatula, remove the bones of the fish and set aside.
- Check seasoning and cook for more 15 min/ 100º/ speed 2.
- Blend for 25 seg/ speed 7.
- Strain the soup and place it in the mixing bowl, add the fish and the rice and cook for 10 min/ 100º/ reverse position/ speed spoon.
- Add lemon juice to taste and serve hot.
This recipe was adapted from the book “Traditional Maltese Cooking” of Julian Sammut.