Thermomix® time: 6 min
- 300 g milk
- 50 g butter, cut into pieces, plus extra for greasing
- 20 g fresh yeast, crumbled or 2 tsp dried instant yeast (8 g)
- 20-60 g sugar
- 550 g bread flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly whisked, for glazing
- Lightly grease a large bowl and set aside. Place milk, butter, fresh yeast and sugar into mixing bowl and warm 3 min/ 37ºC/ speed 2.
- Add bread flour and salt and knead 3 min/ dough mode. Place dough into prepared bowl, cover with cling film or a damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (approx. 1 hour).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside. Divide dough into 3 pieces and roll each piece into a rope (approx. 45 cm). Join the 3 ropes at one end, plait, and join again at the other end. Place plait onto prepared baking tray, cover with cling film or a damp kitchen towel and let rise again in a warm place until doubled in size (approx. 30 minutes). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Brush with whisked egg and bake for 25-30 minutes (180ºC) or until bread sounds hollow when tapped in the underside. Allow to cool on a cooking rack begore slicing.