Active time: 15 min Total time: 2 h
CARAMELISED ONION JAM
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1200 g brown onion (approx. 8), cut into quarters
- 100 g brown sugar
- 200 g dry white wine
- 80 g verjuice
- 4 tsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 350 g water
- 2 – 3 tsp Chicken stock paste (see Tips)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 50 g red wine
CARAMELISED ONION JAM
- Place all onion jam ingredients into mixing bowl and cook 50 min/ 100°C/ speed 1.5, placing simmering basket instead of measuring cup onto mixing bowl lid.
- Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, then cook for a further 20-30 min/ 100°C/ speed 1.5, or until most of the liquid has reduced, placing simmering basket instead of measuring cup onto mixing bowl lid.
- Transfer into a sealable storage container, then allow to cool to room temperature before placing into refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place garlic and thyme into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/ speed 7. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add all remaining gravy ingredients, including 200 g of the reserved onion jam and cook 15 min/ Varoma/ reverse spoon/ speed 1.5, placing simmering basket instead of measuring cup onto mixing bowl lid. Transfer gravy into a serving jug and serve warm.
· Please refer to The Basic Cookbook or Everyday Cookbook for the Chicken stock paste recipe.
· For a quick and tasty canapé, make the wonton cups from the Peanut and soba noodle wonton cups, then fill with some of the caramelised onion jam. Top the jam with a piece of Camembert cheese or prosciutto and serve warm.
· Transfer leftover caramelised onion jam into sealable storage jars to make lovely gifts for friends and family.
· If you don’t want lots of leftover caramelised onion jam, reduce all jam ingredient quantities by half and cook for a total 45 min/100°C/speed 1.5 in steps 1 & 2.
UTENSILS Thermomix parts: Simmering basket, Spatula, Measuring cup; Useful items: sealable container, serving jug
SERVING SIZE 6 portions
NUTRITIONAL LEVEL per 1 portion (Caramelised onion gravy): Energy 931 kJ / 222 kcal; Protein 5 g; Carb 29 g; Fat 7 g; Cholesterol <1 mg; Dietary fibre 5 g
PRICE LEVEL low
This recipe is from Vorwerk International.