Thermomix® time: 7 min Total time: 1 h
A rich but light cake that is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. It is a perfect option for a birthday or celebration cake with its thick icing and delicious flavour.
- 200 g butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
- 200 g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids, pieces or callets
- 100 g water
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 180 g light brown sugar
- 180 g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 80 g crème fraîche
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line two cake tins (Ø 20 cm) with baking paper then set aside.
- Place chocolate in mixing bowl and chop 4 sec/ speed 10. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add butter and water then melt 2 min/ 80°C/ speed 1.5.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, light brown sugar, caster sugar, eggs and crème fraîche then mix 20 sec/ speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and mix again 10 sec/ speed 5.
- Divide cake batter between cake tins and bake for 35-40 minutes (170°C) until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Remove tins from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from tins and transfering to wire rack to finish cooling. Meanwhile make icing.
- 200 g dark chocolate, minimum 60% cocoa solids, pieces or callets
- 200 g butter, in pieces, softened
- 200 g icing sugar
- Place chocolate in mixing bowl and chop 4 sec/ speed 10. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula then melt 2 min/ 40°C/ speed 1.5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl, then melt again 2 min/ 40°C/ speed 1.5.
- Insert butterfly whisk and add butter and icing sugar then mix 30 sec/ speed 3.5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and mix again 10 sec/ speed 3.5.
- To assemble, sandwich the two cakes together with icing then cover sides and top with remaining icing. Decorate as desired before serving.
Utensils Thermomix parts: Stirring attachment (butterfly), Spatula, Measuring cup.
Useful items: Baking paper, 2 round cake tins (Ø 20 cm), skewer, cooling rack
Serving size: 12 slices
Nutritional values per 1 slice: Energy 3181 kJ / 760 kcal. Protein 7 g. Carb 77 g. Fat 47 g
This recipe is from Vorwerk International.