Active time: 15 min Total time: 1 h 40 min
- 30 g sugar
- 1 lemon, thin peelings of skin only (optional)
- 120 g milk
- 30 g butter
- 15 g fresh yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 300 g bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 50 g halved walnuts or mixed candied fruit
- 50 g butter, soft
- 60 g sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 20 g egg whites, lightly beaten
- 50 g icing sugar
- Place sugar and lemon peel in mixing bowl then grind 15 sec/ speed 10. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add milk, butter and yeast then heat 1 min/ 37°C/ speed 2.
- Add egg yolk and mix 4 sec/ speed 3.
- Add flour and salt then knead 2 min/ dough mode. Tip out, form into a ball and wrap loosely in cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (approx. 1-2 hours). Meanwhile, prepare filling.
- Place walnuts in mixing bowl and chop 2 sec/ speed 5. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Place butter, sugar and cinnamon in mixing bowl then mix 30 sec/ speed 2.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- When dough has risen, roll out on a floured work surface to a rectangle (approx. 40 cm x 50 cm).
- Spread filling thinly over dough then sprinkle with reserved chopped nuts. Roll up lengthwise then cut down middle of roll, but not completely through one end (so strands are connected at top). Twist each half over each other so that the cut side faces up then join ends together to form a circle.
- Place on prepared baking tray and bake for 20 minutes (180°C) or until golden brown. Meanwhile, clean and dry mixing bowl then prepare icing.
- Place a small bowl on mixing bowl lid and weigh in egg whites and icing sugar. Remove bowl and mix well.
- Remove kringle from oven, transfer to a wire rack then brush with icing. Serve once kringle has cooled.
TIP You can prepare twice the amount of dough to make 2 kringles if desired.
UTENSILS Thermomix parts: Spatula, Measuring cup; Useful items: cling film, baking tray and paper, rolling pin, wire rack, pastry brush.
SERVING SIZE 8 portions.
NUTRITIONAL LEVEL per 1 portion Energy 1398 kJ / 335 kcal; Protein 6 g; Carb 45 g; Fat 14 g; Cholesterol 59 mg; Dietary fibre 2 g.
This recipe is from Vorwerk International.