Thermomix® time: 10 min Total time: 1 h 10 min
- 10 oz sugar
- 4½ oz cake flour
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- 10 egg whites, jumbo (approx.14-15 oz), room temperature
- 1½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar, homemade or natural vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place sugar into mixing bowl and grind 10 sec/ speed 10. Set scale to zero, then using a spoon, remove 5 oz of ground sugar (scale will show minus ‘- 5.0 oz’) and reserve for adding to mixing bowl in step 5.
- Add cake flour and salt and aerate 30 sec/ speed 8. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Insert butterfly whisk. Place egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla into mixing bowl and whip without measuring cup 4 min/ 120°F/ speed 3.5.
- Whip again without measuring cup, 4-6 min/ 120°F/ speed 3.5 slowly adding reserved ground sugar 1 tbsp at a time through hole in mixing bowl lid until soft peaks form.
- Add beaten egg whites to reserved flour and gently fold in with a spatula.
- Transfer mixture into angel food cake pan and bake immediately for 35-40 minutes (350°F) until a skewer comes out clean and cracks appear dry. Invert pan and allow to cool completely, approx. 3 hours. Once cool unmold onto a platter and serve.
TIP: Cake texture is at its best when consumed within one day. To prevent angel food cake from drying out, store in a container in the refrigerator. Angel food cake will keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator or up to 1 month in the freezer. If you don’t have an angel food cake pan you can use a cake or tube pan and invert it over a bottle or a funnel to let angel food cake cool down.
VARIATION Angel food cake leftovers can be used for the cake base of trifle.
UTENSILS Thermomix parts: Stirring attachment (butterfly), Spatula, Measuring cup
Useful items: large bowl, angel food cake pan (9-10 in.)
SERVING SIZE 12 slices
NUTRITIONAL VALUES per 1 slice Energy 626 kJ / 150 kcal. Protein 5 g. Carb 32 g. Fat 0 g. Cholesterol 0 mg. Dietary fibre 0 g.
PRICE LEVEL high.
This recipe is from Vorwerk International.