Active time: 20 min Total time: 1 h 30 min
- 20 g dried mushrooms
- 1 carrot (approx. 110 g), cut into pieces (3-4 cm)
- 1 celery stalk (approx. 50 g), cut into pieces (3-4 cm)
- 1 brown onion (approx. 150 g), cut into quarters
- 1 garlic clove
- 50 g extra virgin olive oil
- 500 – 600 g mixed vegetables (e.g. potato, pumpkin, green beans, broccolini), cut into pieces (3-4 cm)
- 1000 – 1200 g blade roast beef, cut or trussed into a square shape
- 100 g dry white wine
- 100 g water
- 1 tbsp Vegetable stock paste (see Tips)
- ¼ tsp sea salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cornflour (optional)
- Place a ceramic or glass bowl onto mixing bowl lid, then weigh mushrooms into it. Cover with boiling water and soak according to packet instructions. Drain mushrooms through simmering basket and cut into slices.
- Place drained mushrooms, carrot, celery, onion, garlic and oil into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/ speed 6. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, then sauté 3 min/ Varoma/ speed 1.
- Place harder vegetables (i.e. pumpkin, potatoes) into Varoma dish then set aside. Softer vegetables (e.g. green beans, broccolini) will be added later. Place beef into mixing bowl and allow beef to rest lightly on the blades.
- Add wine, water, stock paste, salt and pepper, then place Varoma with harder vegetables into position and cook 30 min/ 100°C/ reverse positon/ speed spoon . Transfer any cooked vegetables to a thermal serving bowl or other large bowl to keep warm.
- Set Varoma aside and turn meat over in mixing bowl. Place Varoma back into position, toss any uncooked vegetables in Varoma dish to ensure even cooking. Secure Varoma lid and cook for a further 20-30 min/100°C/ reverse position/ speed spoon, or until meat is cooked to your liking.
- Transfer vegetables and meat into a thermal serving bowl or other large bowl to keep warm and allow meat to rest (approx. 15 minutes). If harder vegetables require more cooking, place Varoma dish back into position and cook for a further 13-15 min/ Varoma/ speed 1.
- Place softer mixed vegetables (e.g. green beans, broccolini) into Varoma dish and cook 5-10 min/ Varoma/ speed 1, or until all vegetables are cooked to your liking. Transfer into thermal serving bowl or other large bowl with the meat and harder vegetables and cover to keep warm. Retain steaming liquid in mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine cornflour (optional) with 1 tbsp water. Add cornflour mixture and resting juices from meat to mixing bowl and cook 4 min/ Varoma/ speed 1. Transfer gravy into a jug and keep warm.
- Slice roast and serve hot with steamed vegetables and gravy.
· Ensure meat is between 1000 – 1200 g and that it fits easily in mixing bowl without obstructing the hole in mixing bowl lid. Steam needs to be able to escape from the mixing bowl to cook the vegetables.
· Cooking time for the roast will depend on the size and weight of meat. Smaller roasts will require less cooking time.
· Please refer to The Basic Cookbook or the Everyday Cookbook for the Vegetable stock paste recipe.
UTENSILS Thermomix parts: Varoma, Simmering basket, Spatula, Measuring cup; Useful items: ceramic or glass bowl, thermal serving bowl or other large bowl, serving jug.
SERVING SIZE 6 portions (approx. 1875 g).
NUTRITIONAL LEVEL per 1 portion Energy 2504 kJ / 596 kcal; Protein 71 g; Carb 9 g; Fat 28 g; Cholesterol 149 mg; Dietary fibre 8 g.
PRICE LEVEL low.
This recipe is from Vorwerk International.